By Dr. Kim Grengs, Parent Coach
Are you traveling during the holiday season? Millions of families will be traveling in different ways this season. Some by car and others by plane. No matter which way you need to be prepared as a parent. The better prepared you are the more calm your family will be. Use these tips when traveling with your family to make it an enjoyable experience for the entire family.
Make a list
The most important thing to do is to think ahead and make a list. Here are some tips for traveling. Ask yourself a few questions:
- What time do you need to leave the house in order to make it to your destination on time.
- What items need to be packed for each family member.
- Depending on the length of the trip, will you need snacks. What types of snacks are easy
- to pack and stay fresh for the trip.
- What activities will your children need to keep them engaged the length of time.
Guidelines for Traveling
Another key to having a calm and enjoyable trip is to have a family talk before the actual day of the trip. It is important for children to know the expectations of behavior before you leave so they can be successful. These guidelines will help them know what to do when things should arise.
A few specific things to talk about:
- Safety: it is important for everyone to be safe. Seatbelts are required. Being quiet enough so that the driver can focus on the road is important. Hands and feet to yourself.
- Comfortable: make sure that children have items that will make them more comfortable, like pillows and blankets.
- Activities: have a bag or basket with different activities for each child to do that they enjoy.
- Planned stops: let them know that there will be planned stops so that they can use the restroom and get out to move a bit. Let them know how long each stop will be so they can plan ahead.
- Arrival: Let them know what they will be doing to help unload the car or luggage when you get to your destination. Be specific and possible write it down so each family knows what to do.
The more prepared you are the more successful everyone will be during the adventure. Use the tips given for traveling with your family to create a successful and fun experience for everyone.
Do you have tips or ideas to share about traveling with your family? Add them to the comments below or share them in our Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/389057802026683/
Schedule a consultation at http://championyourparenting.as.me/